The Institute of Middle East Studies (IMES) is a research and resource institute founded by the Arab Baptist Theological Seminary (ABTS).
The MANDATE of IMES is to bring about positive transformation in thinking and practice between Christians and Muslims in the Middle East and beyond. IMES is responding to the increasingly urgent NEED to dispel mutually false perceptions between peoples of different religions and cultures, which eventually result in inadequate practice in social, religious, political, and personal spheres.
The PURPOSE of IMES is to increase general awareness about Middle East realities and to resource Evangelicals to serve specific needs in the Arab World and among Arab communities worldwide.
Who Do We Serve?
- Community and religious workers (Arab and non-Arab) active in the Arab world or among Arab communities worldwide
- Leaders of Christian organizations based in and focused on the Arab World
- Theology students with a pastoral, teaching and research focus
- Christian instructors and researchers in Middle Eastern Studies
- Christian reporters and authors working on Middle Eastern issues
- The wider Christian community in the Middle East and beyond
IMES seeks to fulfill its mandate by offering first hand exposure to Middle East realities, and study and research opportunities in an Arab Middle Eastern context. It promotes and initiates the development of contextually appropriate resources that inspire transformed practice.
What do we do?
The following PROGRAMS constitute the principal activities of IMES, designed to fulfill its Mission:
- The Master of Religion in Middle Eastern and North African Studies
(MRel in MENA Studies)
- The Annual Middle East Consultation (MEC)
- The Middle East Immersion (MEI)
- The Academy of Languages and Practical Skills (ALPS)
- The Feast, a peacebuilding initiative
- The IMES Blog (IMESLebanon.wordpress.com)
For more information on IMES activities:
Postal Address: P.O. Box 60, Mansourieh, Maten, Lebanon
Telephone: +961-4-400250 (Ext. 287)